View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
mrein3

Re: WARNING! Heads Up!

I've never personally double gasketed (is that a word) an oil filter but I've seen it happen a couple of times.

In my formative years I worked at a small repair shop. 5 bays. Three full service only pumps out front. I did light mechanical work, oil changes, water pumps, alternators, starters, got myself into servicing AC systems. And I covered the full service pumps.

In addition to myself there was another college age guy doing similar except he was better at knowing our customers, seeing one approaching, then disappearing in the back room to find a part or wash his hands so I did a bit more covering of the gas pumps. Especially on those -10 and -20 Fahrenheit days.

He was also pretty good at not following orders regarding you HAVE to make sure the old gasket came off when you pulled the old filter. We all got the same speech on the first day on the job.

I'd be running out the bay waving my arms as oil was gushing out the bottom of the car the other guy just completed an oil change on.

FWIW, we used top shelf Wix filters. I suspect if you gorillaed (is that a word) the old filter on you had a better chance of it sticking to the block upon removal. And my co-worker was good at getting those filters on good and tight too.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote