View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #63
kennyd

Re: Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
After that with no more racing till next year I had plenty of time to sort out the problems . I fixed a few bent valves and got the rest of the valve train sorted out . I started the 2000 season at Hallsville and the truck did alot better then . It ran 9.60 @ 138 with a best 60 ft of 1.31 (it still hasnt had a better 60 ft than that ) . I raced all year and at the last race before the bracket finals the 565 gave up . It was late at night on a poorly lit track and it windmilled two rods going through the traps . I still had no hood so when it grenaded the front of the block and virtually cut the oilpan in half the windshield was completely cover in oil , sparks were flying becuase the alternator was destroyed in the process . Hallsville had a short downhill shutdown and I couldnt see a thing (I thought it was going to be real bad) but I got it stopped and off the track . It took all winter to clean up the mess. There was not an inch of the truck that wasnt coated in oil . Here is a pic of the block and the pan .....

this is about the time the phrase "it could have been worse" started getting used around the shop
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote