View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 05:26 PM   #41
shifty
Questionable

Re: Gas Prices - Part 2

I will say this, if I didn't already say it. My mind is slowly eroding as I get ancient and my condition gets worse, so I always hope I'm not telling the same story over and over again!

I've been getting by with rewards programs lately. I signed up for Shell fuel rewards. I linked that to my Speed Perks account at Advance Auto Parts. I then linked it with my AmEx. And my Kroger Rewards points from buying groceries actually works with Shell's fuel rewards too.

For fraud prevention and budgeting purposes, I pay for 90% of things with my AmEx to pay off in a lump sum each month, and I randomly seem to buy things at places that earn me fuel points. Like many of us on here, I buy and install a great deal of my own auto parts because I don't need to pay others, and Advance Auto always has 15%-25% off coupons where I can buy what I need online, apply the coupon, and pickup at the store which also saves $$ and also earns fuel points. And you show me a single household of any forum member on here who doesn't shop for groceries and I'll buy the beer.

For my last 3 fill-ups now, only having bought basic stuff like air filters, oil changes, usual weekly groceries, and paying for stuff using my AmEx, I've gotten 30¢-50¢ per gallon, up to 20 gallons. I had to fill up both cars again this month. That's gotten me under $3/gal every time.

I realize this may not work for everyone. But 15-25% off my auto parts, and about 15% off my gas at fill-up, all from doing my usual spending is awesome. It's not like coupon-clipping where you need to invest a lot of time. I haven't changed anything in my life, I just signed up for a couple programs, with mostly BS personal info so I don't get random junk mail, and ... maybe it'll work for someone else.

EDIT: Yes, someone is probably tracking all my purchases and travel and building a profile on me. But so is your cell phone provider, and half the apps on your smart phone if you got one. So is Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. So is your internet provider. We have no protection

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote