View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #4
barraza

Re: Swapping L86 6.2 8l90e into 72 k10

Plan was to use the transfer case that came with the 8L90e. It is a drivers side output, and of course the np205 is a passenger output for the front. After disassembling the new transfer case, i have changed my mind. While it appears it could be rotated, it would need several modifications. The new T/C uses a clutch pack to engage the front driveshaft, and it has an internal pump to provide hydraulic pressure to function. The pump looks like it would function if the oil pickup was moved to the other side of the case, which could probably be done with some minor tig welding. One mounting hole would need to be moved, but there appears to be enough material on the case to do this. The biggest issue is that the actuation clutch is designed to lock up shafts that are spinning about the same rpm. Like they would do in a stock truck that had the front axle spinning all the time. My truck has a Dana 60 front axle, and i do not want to keep the front hubs locked all the time.
I realize automatic transmissions have similar clutches, and they shift all the time, but they are locking up shafts that are much lighter than the guts and axles of a Dana 60. Also, automatic transmissions have much more fluid, a filter, and cooling capacity to keep anything from overheating. I’ll keep the np205.
An interesting fact, the np205 weighs 134 lbs, the new transfer case weighs 87lbs. This picture shows the pattern on the rear of the 8l90e. It is generally referred to as the “large round” pattern. It is shared with many later transmissions and or transfer cases. A 208 transfer case that was behind a 700r4 uses this pattern (on the transfer case, not the transmission). A Dana 30 case uses it, as do aftermarket cases like the Atlas.
Attached Images

barraza is offline   Reply With Quote