View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
barraza

Re: Swapping L86 6.2 8l90e into 72 k10

Np205’s came in several styles, depending on whether they were attached to turbo 350’s, 400’s, or manual transmissions. Early ones had a figure 8 front attachment face, later they came with the “large round” pattern on the front. Other manufacturers had drivers side drops, and some were not even attached to the transmission directly, they were called divorced and had a short driveshaft from the transmission to the transfer case. Mine was attached to a turbo 350, and since its a 72, it has the figure 8 mounting face. So i have to convert from the figure 8 to the round pattern, and from the turbo 350 style 27 spline male input to the 32 spline female input. There are two 32 spline inputs, a short and a long. To attach to the 8l90e, the long input is needed because the shift rail of the np205 is on the front and it would require a lot of cutting into the 8L90e case for clearance. The large 32 spline input also has a bigger bearing on the front input, so the case needs to be machined. Not a complicated procedure, a local shop charged me 2 hrs time after i brought them a bare clean case. This picture has the original bearing sitting in the new larger bored hole
Attached Images

barraza is offline   Reply With Quote