View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 11:52 AM   #17
barraza

Re: Swapping L86 6.2 8l90e into 72 k10

I had a couple of PM questions about the radiator, so I’m putting a couple more pictures here. This is the drivers side, the fans attaché directly to the radiator. A little trimming allows the front of the radiator to almost touch the front surface of the core support. Moving it as far forward as possible leaves plenty of room between the engine and fans. The 2018 truck water pump is offset to the drivers side, so the lower radiator hose runs across from the water pump to the lower radiator outlet on the pass side. All of the hoses i used are factory 2018 truck. Also in this picture the upper mount is visible, it is the molded in bracket next to the hose. It just needed a spacer to attach to the core support. The lower radiator attachment is a peg on the radiator, that fits into a hole drilled on the lower core support with a bushing. These fans move a ton of air, and are controlled by the factory ECU. They are PWM, so they run at slow speed when only a little cooling is needed, and ramp up speed as demand increases.
This radiator has a small hose on the upper pass side that circulates water through the overflow tank, the overflow is also connected to a small hose near the thermostat. A tank like this is required because it bleeds air from the system and there is no cap on the radiator itself.
I was looking for a foolproof system that was guaranteed to work, be reliable, and not break the bank. I really had no idea any of it would work until i mocked it up, and it turned out being one of the easiest parts of the whole project.
Attached Images

barraza is offline   Reply With Quote