Thread: 47-55.1 Transmission seized
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #18
mr48chev

Re: Transmission seized

The simple solution is to find a decent transmission preferably out of a 54 and maybe put a bearing and small parts kit in it along with new gaskets.

The next simplest solution would be to find a transmission, drive shaft and rear end out of a 55/59 3100 and swap over to open drive. You are still dealing with the older style transmission though. I'm not positive on drive shaft length.

Not quite as simple but it would make a nicer driving rig is to use a later full syncro 3 speed and the open drive 55/59 rear axle. That would take a bit of shift arm/rod tinkering and I am thinking at least a different driveshaft yoke if not a different length drive shaft. I have that transmission in my 48 with a Hurst 3 speed shifter and it is one nice transmission. NO Overdrive but smooth shifting.

Then it comes to a T-5 swap but that takes away the column shift but at the same time . That would give you smooth shifting and overdrive. Find a shift lever off an old granny 4 speed and adapt it to the shift lever and bingo the lookie loos think you have a granny 4 speed in the truck.

Still it comes down to other factors including is the rear end in the truck in really good shape now? Does the budget allow for spending the money to make the changes to open drive? That one is your personal business and no one elses. We all have different build or redo budgets and so be it and unless someone asks about specific changes Throwing out suggestions that may cost as much as some guys build budgets isn't cool.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote