View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
rcsbls2

My Friends 76 Silverado in my Paint Shop Jail

I've been reading lots of Builds looking for inspiration to get Todds truck worked on. Its in my garage and I don't work on it very often... But I need to get at it and get it painted. I'm not a professional painter but rather a hobbyist and enjoy working away at it. He asked me to go to look at a 70 or 71 Blazer his son wanted to buy. I said sure he said great were going to Las Vegas!!! So the three of us were off, landed at about midnight and it was like 95 degrees!! The next day we were off in rental car look at the Blazer.I had seen the ad. When we got htere he was all excited and as the owner told him how great it was, I was looking it over. 2wd lowered in primer,(why is a desert truck primered??) It had Autometer Guages in the dash looked nice till I looked under and nothing was hooked up. It was sitting out in front on the concrete driveway. hotter than all getout. I got down to look at the underpinnings and the first thing in my face a 2 x 4 wooden transmission crossmember!!! Any way I suggested we go for a ride and the owner said sure goanywhere we wante but had to stay inside gated community. So we went around corner were i stopped and told them this thing was not worth the $10 grand he was asking and showed them my opinion of problems. Son still wanted it and dad and i said never going to happen!!
So we went back to Hotel and discussed what we might do. Got local auto traders and read what forsale and looked around town. The second or third day we went to a place that had a number of cars and trucks on what appeared to be consignment. Had 20 to 25 inside and we happened upon the truck we would buy. Turns out to be the bookkeepers truck. A 1976 Silverado Stepside. All orginial 75000 mile, always in Vegas, loaded up, air conditioned, a little beatup but solid as anything I can remember. We live in the rust belt so this thing is so nice I am drooling. I brought Todd over to show him and Son what I was looking at, They were looking at Camaros and Chevelles and other done cars for higher prices than any of us could afford!! After looking and talking to sales person we find out info and asking price of $3500. Todd ask me what I think of it. I told them if they don't buy it I will!!!!So I continue looking around and they went other directions. About 15 minutes later Todd comes up to me and says we are all set! He had bought it, set up shipping back to Michigan and we were going to have a new toy.!!
Flew back home and the next week it arrived. I will be continue the story and hopefully some pictures in the next few days.
rcsbls2 is offline   Reply With Quote