View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
dmjlambert

Re: air in brake lines

Thanks everybody. The consensus is the first step is make sure brakes are adjusted OK, so I will inspect the brakes carefully and adjust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
With drum brakes I just adjust them so I can just slip on the drums and just do some firm stops while backing up and let them adjust themselves. You don't have to back up at 80 miles an hour and stomp the pedal, just a few moderately firm stops from 5-10 miles an hour will do it. This will also tell you pretty quick if you installed the adjusters correctly. If they don't adjust, you did something wrong. But then, that's why I only ever do one wheel at a time and either reuse my adjuster or compare the new one to the one I'm taking off to make sure I'm using the correct one. Also, by doing only one wheel at a time, you can still use the other side as a reference if you temporarily forget which spring goes where or how things are supposed to fit together. Taking a picture before you start is also helpful sometimes, assuming the previous brake job wasn't done wrong!

Biggest mistake I've seen time and time again is the wrong shoe in the wrong position. They ARE different front to rear.
Please tell me after making the initial rough adjustment and putting the drum back on, how do I tell that the automatic adjuster is working and is actually making final adjustment itself after a few stops in reverse gear? I've only known the "just have faith that it probably works" method. If there is a proper way to see the automatic adjuster has actually turned and is working as intended, I would like to learn about that.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote