View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Re: air in brake lines

Thanks everybody. I adjusted the brakes and it is much better now. Huge difference.

I pushed down on the adjuster wheel just like the adjuster bar is supposed to do, until I felt resistance of the brake preventing the wheel from turning. Then I used a small screwdriver to hold the bar up a little bit while I turned the adjuster the other way to loosen it. On one truck wheel the bar did not contact the adjuster wheel so I did not have to hold the bar up to loosen that one. On two of the truck wheels, the bar made just a little bit of contact to the adjuster wheel. On the final truck wheel, the bar made good contact with the adjuster wheel, and as I was turning the adjuster wheel it made nice loud clicks. That one only took a few clicks to tighten up, so I think that is the only one that really self-adjusts.

So tell me, when I replace the drums and shoes, which I still have on my list of things to do, what should I do to make sure the bar contacts the adjuster wheel and works well? Is it a matter of bending the bar so it engages the adjuster wheel better? Here is an older picture of one of the brake adjusters.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote