View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Carolina68

Re: Ls swap wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev-obsession View Post
I just did this!

The black and black with white stripe wires are for the ammeter in the gauge cluster, it’s supposed to show if there is current draw or battery charging.... something like that.

If your not a purist, I’d take an actual voltmeter from a square body (don’t quote the exact year but like ‘76 and up have them) and replace the ammeter and just run ignition power to it. Then remove the black wires going into fuse block on the firewall and disconnect from the battery. To answer your question, no you don’t need them for your truck to run. Not sure what you did for wiring, but pretty much everything on the external voltage regulator can be removed.

What alternator do you have? How many pins does it have?

Thank you chev-obsession. That is great news. I have a scram speed LS alternator that has been turned into a one wire with a Holley 1 wire harness with the resistor. I do not need any volt reg right now as I’m going Holley terminator and pulling the old cluster to do a 7” Holley screen the old volt reg is already ripped out. I basically just went through the old school engine harness and clipped them all at the firewall. Kept all the stuff I needed like lights, horn, etc. so my plan is to clip the black wire and black with white stripe wire since they are not needed. And my battery is relocated to the bed so I have to run that fat red wire back to the battery. Do it need a fusible link? I prefer a fuse if possible but what size?