View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #25
cwcarpenter98

Re: Engine breaking up or surging?? I'm confused

Well, I did an oopsie with a couple things.
First, I did not realize that the dizzy cap was missing the ground wire (middle terminal of the 3 wire plug at the coil) since I put that engine and distributor in my truck almost 4 years ago.
Second, with all the testing I was trying to do, I proceeded to strip out a couple of the coil mounting holes in the cap which also led to the ground wire on the coil not being attached properly. It was too loose and I ended up frying the ignition module. Pulled the cap off the dizzy and found a lot of corrosion on the terminals and the rotor tip looked burned.

At that point, I said screw it, I'm starting fresh. New cap, rotor, ground strap thingy, module, and coil went in last night. I don't know how the coil was getting a proper ground without the ground strap thingy, but I figured it wasn't quite right and probably would have led to problems in the future if I had not replaced at least that.

And, yeah, that still didn't fix the initial problem, so I have a new fuel pump that should be here in the morning. Picked up a Delphi unit for $30. I'm hoping that'll be the actual fix.
Ok, back to studying for my CPA exams
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote