View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
sduckworth13

Finally got those control arm bushings in

I figured I'd swap out my 1967 3/4 ton suspension with a 1974 Chevy truck suspension. I got the complete suspension for almost nothing. I wanted a nice riding vehicle so I tore down the old suspension and pulled off the upper and lower A arm control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm. I had everything sandblasted and I'm replacing everything with Moog brand suspension parts. I hear they are the best all all around. I got my control arm bushing pressed in today. I went to Advance Auto and rented the Powerbuilt control arm remover/ installer kit. The kit worked for the upper control arms with no problems. It was the lowers that the kit wasn't made for. So I went back to Advance Auto and they let me use the ball joint kit. It had the right size collars I needed. Unfortunately, I could only press in one side with the kit. The other side I had to add spacers and wrenched in the other side. I left out, I paid a shop $60.00 to remove the old lower control arm bushing after I tried to take them out myself unsuccessfully. Heres some pictures. I bent one of the uppers trying to drive the step up on the moog bushing flush with the control arm opening. It seems that it is actually not suppose to go into the opening past the step up. Heres some pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by sduckworth13; 04-24-2011 at 12:38 AM.
sduckworth13 is offline   Reply With Quote