View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #90
hairlesshobo

Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

I see how not locking the brakes could negatively effect it when turning the wheel side to side. If it were to roll at all it would negate the point of sweeping left to right. Thanks for clearing this up. So just to recap what I have learned from here and from uncle Google, tell me if I am missing anything. I am going to take a whack at doing an alignment for the first time tomorrow.
  • Lock brakes when setting caster
  • Set caster first
  • Set camber second
  • Set toe third
  • Make sure front wheels are placed on some sort of free floating pad (either turnplates or using the vinyl tile method)
  • Ensure that the truck is on a completely level slab of concrete, both left to right and front to rear
  • Make sure that Caster left to right is withing 1/4* of each other
  • Make sure that camber is set equally from side to side (also withing 1/4*)
  • Make sure steering wheel is straight when setting toe (this is just annoying when it's turned partially to the side like mine currently is)
  • Make sure toe matches on each side and don't go extreme for the sake of the tire life

Have I missed anything in this? I plan to use the string & caster/camber gauge method. I will first setup a completely level surface, then box off string square around the vehicle. I will set caster, then camber using the gauge. I will then set toe using the string as a guide.

I would also like to check if my rear end is lined up properly. I plan to measure from a point on the outside of the axle, just inside of the rear tire to the first u bolt of the lower control arm. I will do this on each side and then compare the measurements. If they are off, I will adjust accordingly. Is this a reliable method for checking the "alignment" of the rear axle without a fancy machine or is there a better do-it-yourself method?

I am very excited to take a whack at my own alignments. I feel that it has the potential to be VERY handy for as long as I am building and restoring vehicles, as well as save me a lot of money. Thanks again for all of the pointers everyone!

-Steve