View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #318
OutlawDrifter

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
if your springs are too soft all a stiffer shock will do is foam from oscillating, which will act like no shock at all. shock mounts arent made to take the weight of the truck either, the lowers are single shear. i think you are right that the bed is too much.

I used ride tech leafs on truck #1 7 years ago, they would "duck" when accelerating and I had good kyb monotubes on it by the end. it still rides soft, I stay in touch with the owner.

the reason i suggested the big flat overload is the same reason 6DoF said. because instead of the spring pack bending at the leaf mount/shock mount, the flat overload will eventually make the leaf pack flat, raising the spring rate, stopping the droop.

if you want to try lowering the truck without drop leafs, get a Z85 pack (three arches leafs + overload) and take out the smallest leaf, then set the ride height with blocks and keep your half springs for hop. in fact adding the overload to the air ride leafs will not help hop either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
DO you have Monroe Max-air shocks? I have had them in the back of my Jeep for years they are a great shock but quite soft, (bouncy) all the air part is for is adding load capacity that I use when I put a trailer on. I had a shock off of a cube van before it was way stiffer. Hope you get it figured out soon.
I do have the Monroe Max-Air Shocks.

I did some more reading on the topic last night. Seems I'm not the only one to experience this issue with the BT drop leafs. Consensus from the S10 world is the lo-pro Caltec traction bars. Ride height was never the issue, just the fact I can't keep the axle under control when "marking my territory"

So to make the ride how I envision it in my mind, I think going back to a good quality shock, adding the flat overload, and a set of the traction bars will cure what ails my rear suspension.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote