View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #81
landarts
landarts

Re: 69 K10 From the Field

So the work today will be getting the driver side rocker tacked in and the driver side kick panel lower section new metal cut out and tacked in also. I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning up the shop and putting away a few tools from the kitchen remodel so I could wheel out the cab to get going again. Then I cut out the lower section of the kick panel with a air reciprocating saw and small die grinder that has a metal cutting bit. Made a few templates from card stock to cut out the new metal with. Then treated the cut out area with Rust-oleum rust dissolver spray gel which is Phosphoric acid in gel form.

The gel form of the Phosphoric acid works well converting the iron oxide "rust" to iron phosphate. I wait until it all dries good then mechanically remove with a the solution with powered wire wheel, grinding pad, wire brush etc. If you try to remove the gel before it dries with water it leaves a white powdery film that does not paint well. Anyways I have had good luck with this and for areas like this I use a little acid brush to move the gel around into the cracks and places that are hard to get in to.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote