View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
71/454
Turbo Guy

Exporting a truck from the U.S. to Canada

As per my previous posts, I recently exported a nice 72 swb from Seattle to Calgary. A few people have asked for the details on how this is done so I thought I would write what I knew. Sorry it took so long, but here goes.

There are some basic rules. First you deal with U.S. customs. I like U.S. customs, they are very organised, it's a very "you do this, and we give you this" arrangement.
U.S. Customs requires all documentation be sent to the port of crossing 72 hours prior, no exceptions, more on this later.
Canada customs and the Canadian Government vary. You will pay GST on the value of an American made vehicle coming to Canada regardless if it is used. If it has Air Conditioning you will pay $100 canadian as a tax.
If the vehicle is 15 years old or newer, it must be entered into the Registrar of imported vehicles. Vehicles this new may not be allowed to be imported or may require serious modification to meet Canadian standards i.e low speed impact requirements (which are different than the U.S.), daytime running lights etc. If you are imorting a vehicle of this nature check out RIV.ca and you can find out the info you need. They will even send you an information packet.
If you are importing a vehicle that is not American made, expect to pay duty, but there are some exceptions, it is best to contact the registrar of imported vehicles.

Ok not done yet, but I have to go back to work. Will finish up later. Dave

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd