View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #99
geunther

Re: The build date project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post
Are you referring to the "3" after the "F"? That threw me off too. But I think Flint produced a lot of trucks. One of my trucks is also a CCExx2F3xxxxx VIN (but the date portion of the blue sticker is ripped off and I don't have a build sheet, so I haven't added it to the list)...But both the blue sticker and the SPID have matching VINs with the F3 sequence on my Chevy truck.

There were I think 603,347 Chevy trucks (Blazers, C10s, K20, suburban, etc) produced in 1972 (according to post #6 in this thread...I added up all the 1972 production numbers). It appears Flint produced close to half of those 600,000 Chevy trucks based on the serial number referenced. In other words, Flint produced the 255-thousandth Chevy truck in March of 1972, and production likely went into June or July.
I certainly do not doubt the veracity of the "F3", I just have not been able to find the pattern. Considering Flint producing 300,000 for 72 equals 25,000 per month. So going to the end of March should equal about 200,000 trucks. So going with those numbers, the highest VIN for March of 72 Flint should be F300000. Of course, these numbers are based upon averages, not faster and slower production at different times.

Looking at March numbers for the other plants, Flints numbers would have to be about 71% higher. But if Flint produced half of the entire 72 run, this percentage would make sense.

However, we do have a Flint jamb sticker 4/72 with a sequence of F163780. I have added the F355033 and will continue to try and reconcile this.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote