View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #78
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Somewhat useless Truck trivia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
My guess is the one that is 3.1" may have been caved in and popped out at some point. I checked over a dozen caps here today including stainless, chrome, 4x4 open, and painted caps and all were 3". Post up some pics when you dig it out.
Interesting. I'll definitely dig them up today, and in fact, I believe the outer un-painting ring is a little taller, go figure. But why would it feel heavier, my imagination? Like I mentioned, that's what brought my attention to it. My scale probably can't pick that up.

Wouldn't be the first time I thought "normal" was over here but it's still over there, and won't be the last.

I couldn't wait, I don't know why I said measure cavity side down before, what an idiot. Anyway, only way I can make sense of it is perhaps someone punched it out as suggested. However, you'll have to take my word for it the cap is noticeably heavier. 50/50ish they made different ones & the 3.1" wasn't often. Maybe it's a reproduction ?? Tell me what I'm missing.

Maybe I'll strip the paint, weigh em again...........Ha. No, I can't use the tall one, though the other three have to be polished and repainted at some point. Waiting on a fourth cap, but I'm throwing rallies on first so no hurry.

Punched out is an interesting thought, but from here I can't see it. It has a few minor dings in it, adding to the mystery, but it's been a lot of years so who knows.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-22-2022 at 02:55 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote