View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #141
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Palf's Little Blue Jimmy

What a #^%*%%$#@#$ pain this afternoon was. I was making progress and getting a few things figured out. I have the throttle/kick-down cable linkage mount in, as well as tranny hooked up, new pan fluid for it. Then it got ugly. I had to switch starter styles from the cross ways bolt on to the older style parallel bolt pattern. No problem, got a new starter and went to put it on and it would not fit. AFter a lot of fussing and trips to exchange, I went thru 3 different starters from O'Riellys (who I normally have great luck with) and none would bolt in. Both the original 81 block and 68 block used same flex-plate, and the oringal starter pops right in. The nose of the newer (well old design ) would keep hitting the flex-plate teeth and wouldn't mount. Finally before I went to get the explosives, I stared at them both again for the millionth time trying to figure out what to do, then I saw this. It looks like the mounting flanges on the parallel bolt one sit about a 1/2" higher on the starter, and drops the nose/gear down to hit things. Evidently something is goofy. O'Rielly shows one style starter for all automatics, powerglide and other automatics. I was looking at the AutoZone site and they lists 2 different automatic tranny starters, one for the power-glide and one for the turbo hydramatic. If there pictures are semi accurate, it looks like their starter will work. I plan on going by tomorrow and order the one.

Am I thinking right on this?? I am so tired and sore from bench pressing starters today!!

On the plus side some things are in place, so it does look like an engine again.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote