View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #28
dsraven

Re: 51 Chevy on a Ford Explorer Subframe - Time for a Different Frame Swap!

Just a thought on ride height. The front suspnsion is likely engineered to work with the lower control arms sitting level with the truck at ride heighy, like when its got the weight of the truck, a tank of gas etc, but no payload. If your "new" body weighs less than the original one then the suspension will lift the frame higher and the steering geometry may be outta whack. As the control arm moves up and down through it's arc the lower ball joint moves further away from the frame until it reaches its midpoint, when the control arm is level, then the ball joint moves closer to the frame as the suspension continues through its arc. In order to get good handling and proper alignment you may need to mess with the springs to achieve originally engineered ride height. When I did mine I installed some suspension "pins" to lock the suspnsion at ride height with the original body still on. When all done with the swap I'll remove the links (basically square tube linking the upper and lower shock mounts) and adjust the springs to achieve the original suspension ride height. It would suck to build the truck at an elevated ride height and then find you need to lower the suspension causing the body to be too low for our awesome road system.......
Just a thought for you to consider. Its your build so you need to do it your way. Great job so far.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote