View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #29
dsraven

Re: 51 Chevy on a Ford Explorer Subframe - Time for a Different Frame Swap!

Another thought,
When I was doing my frame cut out front I got all concerned about where to cut it off etc. Finally I realized that setting the body on some ajustable stands, like you made for the frame, until I got the body squared up and sitting level with cab mounts built etc, allowed me to work free of those frame horns. After the body was where it needed to be then I built the front frame horns from the old frame section to match the rest of the frame and the bumper height, and then added the rad support mounts.
I cant remember the cab mounting on the AD trucks but my 57 originally sat metal to metal at the front, with a shim pack as required for body alignment, and on rubber pucks at the rear. It also had rubber pucks under the rad support on each side. Basically it was pretty tight on the frame. I'm just saying this because you may need to think of how the body will flex as a unit from the rear of the cab to the front rad support as this will affect the fender to body fitment, hood to body fitment etc. Im sure you are already thinking of that since you have done an S10 swap before. Just thought I would throw it in for others following along. You dont necesarily need to use a stock mounting system but keep in mind how it all needs to work together. I used stock envoy body mounts under the cab and a set of energy suspension urethane bushings under the rad support on each side, at frame width, just for lack of room in the area. The inner fenders are kind of part and parcel of the body rigidity as well because they will move with the fenders but you gotta cut off whatever you need to for clearance. I ran the suspension through a full bottoming out scenario and I cut mine too much on purpose because I plan to use the rubber or plastic splash guard idea when done.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote