View Single Post
Old 12-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #32
Ironhorse

Re: Severe cold weather and a white Christmas

Local weather guesser says tomorrow's high is a single digit of " 1 " degree with a low of -4, Friday is 7 with a low of -1. Wind is the big factor here in the flat lands of Kansas. Predicting wind chills of -25 to -40 below zero Thurs and Friday. Local snow fall is only predicted for 1-3'' but the blowing snow will create a "white out" situation for travel. Filled our indoor firewood box I made years ago from some oak pallets I had on hand. About 5' long and 2 1/2' deep. Holds enough for two maybe three days. Filled a wheel barrow full of firewood, put it on the deck just outside the door and tied a tarp down on it. Wood shed about 30 foot from the deck has about two cords of wood cut, split and stacked.

A few winters ago we lost power for two days. Did the cooking on the gas stove, used the fire place to keep the house bearable. It's a big house, just over 2,300 sq. ft. first floor. Have a hand crank Baygen radio for news and entertainment and half dozen battery LED lanterns plus a few oil lamps.

With all that I'm more than ready for spring! Not a cold weather person
which is somewhat odd, LOL. Born in Wisconsin about 60 miles NW of where member DeadheadNM (Pete) is located in Eau Claire, Wis.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote