View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #1559
72c20customcamper

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
They are radials. I tried to pick some that at least looked old school. They are Cooper Discoverer HT3 Radial Tubeless. I was told it was fine to use a tube with them.

Only for shows mostly because everyone keeps telling me they are dangerous even though they all came with them back in the day. I know they are dangerous to mount, but I think once they are on they are ok. But also to keep them in good shape and since I have a nice set of wheels with brand new tires on them and I like to drive the truck whenever I can, I will use those for regular duty. It's a lot easier to get them mounted than the originals. I am getting old so the originals with the new tires should outlast me. The only real issue I had is that I ordered the tubes from a local shop that assured me that the valve stems are bendable and should fit fine when in fact they are too short. I had to put extensions in them with a piece of fuel line to protect them from the side of the rim. Minor issue really.
2 piece splits are dangerous ours are the retainer ring type totally safe after mounting. Only problem with tube type tires they go flat fast no such thing as a slow leak. Mine has tires from 1987 on it . I dont drive it but they are are still in good shape
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote