View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #108
68bowtie

Re: project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)

thanks guys for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
Looking good Tim. I have a couple questions for you.

I recently picked up a wood bed for my project and want to paint the wood like you did and use either the stock strips powder coated like you or get the stainless ones from Mar-K. They are where I am going to get the wood. I have not seen any negatives from them other maybe the cost. but I don't have time to cut my own.

What wood did you go with? Oak or Pine?

What primer and paint did you use on the wood?

Did you powder coat the rear bed rail that was once tack welded to the sides? and if so how are you replacing the welds? or are you not?

Keep it up the truck is looking great!!!

Scott
i used Mar-K wood, strips, and hardware. the shipping was expensive, but in my opinion well worth it the way all the parts fit together. every bolt hole aligned perfectly with no massaging required. i used OEM bedsides, tubs, braces, header panel...

pine wood since i didn't care about wood color. pretty good quality, and kiln dried.

i read the Mar-K test reports on their website and used 2 coats of POR-15 as a primer and then 2 coats of BEHR exterior latex for topcoat. i brushed everything on.

i powdercoated the bed supports. i ground off the PC in the weld area, and plan on tack welding at the factory locations and then touching up with POR (it is a high gloss black and hardens similar to PC). i'm going to do the welding last after i verify tailgate fitment.

one thing i recommend if going with this coating method is mockup the wood sections around the wheel tubs and mark/drill prior to coating. the POR dries VERY hard. i drilled the holes after coating and the bit splintered the wood around the holes. those areas get covered up, but still...

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote