View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #68
1972RedNeck

Re: Installing The NV4500 5 Speed Overdrive Transmission In The C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have had a few people ask me about transmission lube for the NV4500 so I thought I would add this information. If anyone questions it I would suggest that you research it thoroughly for yourself....

NV4500 Manual 5 speed overdrive transmission lube

I have done a lot of research on this and here is what I have found. The NV4500 is pretty much all by itself as far as fluid requirements. The trans fluids for the other 5 speeds will not work. The GM part number is 12346190 and the MoPar part number is 4874459. From what I can gather Castrol makes it and GM and MoPar rebrand it and put it in smaller containers. Castrol Syntorq (not Syntech) LT 75w85 (may also be described as 75w90) GL4 full synthetic Gear oil. The smallest container from Castrol is 15 or 16 Gal.

Amsoil MTG Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 GL-4 is OK but it is a little thinner. If your rear seal starts leaking after filling with the Amsoil that will be the reason. The Amsoil doesn’t actually cause the leak but just exacerbates it. The Amsoil MTGQT-EA is the single quart, and the MTGQT-CA is the case of quarts.

There is a lot of mis-information on the net about this subject and everyone has to make their own decisions on it. Even though they are more expensive, one of the fluids listed above is all I will use.

LockDoc
I just run gear oil that has the correct additive package for limited slip differentials. Maybe not what you're supposed to do, but it has done well for me.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote