View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
imsuchaman55

Re: lq4 6.0 swap into '85 Crew Cab Shorrbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
Guess i better update whats happened the past month. 2 days ago i fired her up for the first time! It was a huge relief....started on the first crank. I was worried about the DBW working completely correct and it did!

I did have a few other issues to work through though. For one my exhaust wasn't fab'd up yet, so i just hung the O2's just under the manifolds with some fencing wire. It would start up just fine, but when it idled down and tried to smooth out, the idle would deteriorate within 40 seconds to a bad lope to where it was about to die. Since then, i finally got the exhaust fab'd in and it fixed that idling problem.

Second problem was my temperature. According to my dash gauge i was hitting 240 degrees and my thermostat wasn't opening (top and bottom rad hoses were still cold) and my electric fans weren't kicking on. I was worried it was gonna over heat. So i left it alone till i could borrow a temp gun from a friend. Turns out my dash gauge is way off. I'm guessing the gauge doesn't match my temp sender, so i'll be heading to the junk yard to find another gauge. I'd change the sender out, but i had it milled down and threaded to metric for the block. I finally just ran it around town and then let it sit in my driveway and the top hose finally got hot and then my fans kicked on, so i'm positive my gauge is not mated with my sender correctly.
Third problem, i broke my VSS. For some reason the square stock that you use to run from the transfer case into the VSS is too long and when i tightened it down, it pushed into the VSS too much and eventually broke the stem inside. So now my truck surges a little when first starting out and drops off a hair too much when i let off since it doesn't know its moving. New VSS should be here Monday though. I did drive it with the VSS working before i tightened it down more, so i know this is the drive ability issues i'm having.

The fourth issue i'm still working is that my Power Steering pump is whining. It doesn't do it when i'm idling, just when i give it some RPMs and if i apply the brakes (hydro boost).

Other than that, she runs like a champ. Definitely has A LOT of top end compared to the 350 i had in there before. And it cruises so smoothly!
Awesome build! I am thinking about doing another LS swap with a crew cab like yours. I am currently doing one in a 68 SWB and I also love the added power and drivability it has. When I got mine fired up, it was whinning like that also, and I thought it was the PS pump going bad, but I was checking the PS fluid level and noticed the fluid was really dirty. So I ran it for a little while. Shut it off, got a turkey baster, and sucked out as much of the fluid as I could. Filled it with fresh fluid and flushed again. It made all of the whining go away and now doesnt make any noise at all. I think it was from the engine sitting or the original fluid never being changed. Its worth a shot. Im very interested to see how this turns out.
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote