View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 10:16 PM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Re: So I drove through some water...

Makes you wonder why, before the major automakers offered a 4wd, why companies like NAPCO, Marmon-Herrington, and Howe offered 4wd conversions and why any buyer would go through the extra wait and expense to have 4wd. Then why GM started offering NAPCO conversions through the dealerships, then began offering them in their line-up... back when only so many people saw the value. But the word on that spread until the market caught on, to the point that we have today more 4wd trucks sold than 2wd. It's as if they are a good idea.

As far as lifting trucks and putting taller tires on goes. Oh I don't know, consider farm tractors. I wonder why the rear drive tires are so much taller than the front. Traction on loose footing is more about engine speed and gearing and much less about HP. When I put taller tires on my first 4wd my truck did what the others couldn't do. A huge improvement. You can't put taller tires that make a difference on without creating more body clearance, by enlarging the openings and/or lifting the truck. Going from 30-31" tires to 35-37" tires yields 2-3 addition inches of differential clearance. And the taller the tire the bigger & deeper the lugs with great separation of lugs for better clearing of the mud picked up. Yes, there is a reason other than looking tougher. The reason is enhanced performance for what the truck is designed to do. I was the first guy around who ran tires over 32" and the few who also had 4wds back then were amazed by what my truck could do. I still remember what a noticeable change that made

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote