Thread: 55.2-59 57 Fleetside C4 build
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #90
dsraven

Re: 57 Fleetside C4 build

when I weld flat panels, like the door skins, I tack it and hammer on dolly a few times when the weld is still red, that expands the weld so when it cools and shrinks it is the right size again. let it cool before proceeding, like as cool as the rest of the part is at room temp. that will help keep things from warping hopefully. mig welding can end up being a little more brittle than a tig or gas weld so doing too much hammer and dolly work when it cools off can end up with small cracks. the doors look like they turnd out nice so you must have it figured out.they sell a mig wire that is supposed to be softer but I have not used it so I can't comment on that. also, be careful when grinding the weld down as a flap disc, like lots of us use, can also remove metal from the surrounding area and make that whole area thinner. some recommend using the grinding disc to knock the toos off the weld only. I have done both but prefer the flap disc and ensuring to not get carried away and also not allowing the warea to get too hot .
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote