View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
j.burton50

71 cab on 79 frame

Seen several posts talking about the differences and wanted to share a little. Let me start by saying I'm at the point of no return. Lol. Ibam putting my 71 cab on my 79 frame. Due to the work that was already done to the frame, im sticking with it. Currently the bed is still factory mounted, and will be removed at some point. The cab I removed yesterday and set down in the newer frame.

The front cab bolts are about an inch too far outboard. So I cut new holes for the 71 to set down. The back as some already know will require notching. In pics I will attach (struggled last time) the end result is the front cab mounts loosely bolted, and the rear of the can resting on the frame. Next step is checking how much notching I will have to do to get the cab to set down.

The original 78 mounts are inboard and have been removed. I took those mounts, shortened them almost 3", and drilled new holes for the mounts into them so I can weld them outboard once it sits down.

To back up my reasoning, my 71 was a long bed fleet side, and I wanted a shortbed stepside. My buddy had one that the cab was rusted clean out. Much worse then my 71.
j.burton50 is offline   Reply With Quote