View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #12
68c10airstream

Re: Ac compressor squeal?

on a 100 degree day and your outlets at 65 is good. R134 from memory was a minimum 23 degree drop from ambient, 27 degree minimum drop with r12. I did a fair share of ac work up north here and if i serviced a system, when i had the refrigerant removed i would remove the manifold at the rear of the compressor. This is easy to do and tells you a lot about the health of the system. The low side return should have a oil film if you took your pinky and dragged it around inside the manifold. I would do the same on the high side discharge port with my pinky and check for a gray metallic dusting present. If it was dry on the suction side and gray on the discharge side the compressor is being stressed, obviously not yours being new.

It sounds like you added enough oil, but still good to check if opened up. Remember that until the receiver drier (accumulator in gm words) has oil in the bottom, there isn't anything to get misted up to the compressor from the dip tube built into it.

Refrigerant oil is like ground circuits in electrical work, the forgotten element!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote