View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
SkidmoreGarage

Skidmore '67 C20

I have been a long-time member of auto enthusiast forums but have never made a build thread. I figure it is time to change that. I probably won't keep up with some of the more motivated builders on here, but I appreciate the knowledge that this board has to offer and hope to contribute in some small way.

I had been casually looking for a 67-68 in "Light Green" C10 for a couple years, with a white roof being a bonus. I had a few search alerts set up, but nothing had really been something that I couldn't live without. My goal was to get something that was a driver, not overly restored, and do an LS swap plus single turbo and just drive it. I had done my research, but only as much as you can with these trucks. This would be my first "classic car" without EFI . What does classic even mean anymore? It is 2020, everything over 25 years old should be a classic, but I can't really get behind much from 1995 and say that's a "classic".

This truck came up for a great deal 15 miles away and looked great in the photos, so I emailed within 10 minutes of it getting posted. I asked-told my wife about it and left the house within half an hour (I get a lot of leeway with my projects). I drove out and met the nice guy who owned it, and he had some great stories about the truck. It was exactly what I was looking for in terms of the condition. Someone had loved it and done a bit of upgrading and maintenance. It had rust but nothing catastrophic. It had been repainted somewhat poorly in single stage paint, with bad adhesion to a gold basecoat. Unfortunately, it was hard to start and barely ran. We did a couple low speed laps around his neighborhood, re-starting and trying to keep it running. It felt pretty solid. He had receipts for all of the work he had done (not much), he had the original for sale info from when he bought it, and he had the original to the truck paperwork. I plan to post that info, build sheet, protecto-plate, SPID, etc. when I get a chance.

So I couldn't not buy it (negotiated down to $5500) and took the risk, in that this is my first carbureted car and my first Chevy truck, and I had no idea if the poor running was due to something basic or catastrophic. As you can see it photographs very well and looks great from 3 paces. The guy was super nice and drove it back to Portland while I followed and gave him a ride home. It made the trip, somehow.

I then proceeded to offer my wife a ride in our "new truck". Well, it didn't make it around the block in front of all of our neighbors. I think she may be scarred from the experience, but she's come around to like the truck. Unfortunately, she has requested that I clean the interior (cigarette smell from the PO) and do something about the fuel smell (gas tank in the cab). Neither of these things bother me, so I haven't prioritized that yet. I haven't had a lot of time to do much to the truck besides get it running.

Here is my 1967 C20, "Skidmore".
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote