View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: TOTM-May2006-Got Mud?

I thought I would jump in here with our K10. I have had this truck about 10 years and it has been on the road now about 8 years. For you guys who haven't been building these trucks that long I am here to tell you it was different 10 years ago. I bought this one from a guy in south Georgia and it is my first truck. I could see it needed cab corners and rockers but that was just the tip of the iceberg. Everything but the hood and the roof has had major repairs or been replaced. I replaced both front fenders and inner fenders, the rockers and inner rockers were changed along with the corners. Of course the cab floor was also repaired next to the kick panels. The doors were re-skinned and had new bottoms welded in ( remember repro doors weren't available back then). I bought another bed for the wheel tubs (unavailable at the time) and a complete running truck for the bedsides (also unavailable). Two bed floors were welded together to build one ( the outside edges of one and the center of the other) . We also replaced the front wall of the bed and the tailgate ( tailgate was later replaced again when the repro quality improved) The paint is the original color which is simply listed as Dark Green on the build sheet. The truck is a factory SWB 4x4, one of only 6069 produced. The 350 engine is original to the truck but we did pull it out and freshen it up. It is a stock build aside from a Comp Cams 4x4 camshaft, roller tip rockers and an Edelbrock aluminum intake (painted orange for that stealth look). Altitude was adjusted via a Skyjacker Softride 4" system which used front and rear springs (no blocks). We also swapped out the brake lines for braided stainless units and the steering arm was changed. It rolls on 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson radial Claws and 15x10 Mickey Thompson Challenger wheels. To keep things cool a Vintage Air surefit system was installed and the windows were darkened a smidge for privacy. The dash is uncut with the old pushbutton still there for style while a CD unit resides in the glovebox and is controled via a steering column mounted remote. I also swapped in a Camaro tach. We also swapped the fan to an electric unit for a little more umph and mpg. I hope I haven't bored you with my rambling. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks