Thread: Tami's 51 build
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #72
skip99

1 piece manual window conversion

It's been a while since I got to work on the 51, had to paint a few money makers !!
The plan was to convert the 2 piece to 1 piece window..the initial info I got was that it was pretty easy, you just needed the 49 type mechanism..WRONG, WRONG WRONG !!!!lol..
I was already committed with these doors( chopped, bear claws)
and couldnt find 49 doors here in ohio anyway..so....here is what I hope is a very comprehensive how to..
(ps..finding 1 piece doors is by far the easiest, if you know ahead of time..)
here we go !!

starting with the original 51..you see the single arm regulator..

this is the mechanism you will need, along with some extra track.

i used the track from one of the original pieces, and cut it in half.

you will also need to build a front glass run channel,( or as I found after I built mine, they now make a repro. that is narrow 5/8 just for this..$25 ea. just buy it !!

if you want to make your own..just copy the rear, and make a extension to mount it to the door. the new front track stans out about 3 1/2 inch from the door jamb. use 22 gauge steel, bend to 5/8 inside for 5/8 felt WITHOUT the metal around the glass.

here's something you never read...to get the rubber in place for the outside wiper, you need to extend the channel, luckily I had an extra old door and so I separated the 2 pieces of metal, welded on an extension and the tacked it back in the door, I have read where some have simply used fuzzies that fit and glued or dbl, side tape them in.. you cannot screw or rivet like on later cars,
welded in new extension

close ups of where to drill

track cut from original 2 pc

templates make it a little easier

small track added.. when Installing.. I screwed one side and the pivot the other until the track is level. at the time of install, I'll probably tack it in place.but dont weld it first..

almost there

you'll need to fill in this notch, or use 49 style.

welded up..

with garnish in place...5/8 wide for glass WITHOUT metal trim around it

also have to bend up the area where the vent went.

finished ....I ordered new regulators.. these had busted springs and rollers, but worked for mock up..

I borrowed this pic, it helped a lot.thanks!!

Now I see why most just went with a power option!!..
also, if you want the metal trim glass, use wider glass run, and felt from a 49.original stuff should work, but again, we chose the hard route, but glass run was easy to find. cr lawrence? has it my local glass guy has it..

hope this helps!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote