View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 10:48 AM   #23
Second Series

Re: Help interpreting ALDL data

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
What is showing in your post looks ok. I could not see how the attached file was organized.

A 1990 K1500 TBI truck does not have a IAT or MAT sensor.
Does the truck have California emissions or federal emissions?
A 1990 federal emissions K1500 truck does not use a Air Divert Solenoid.

When I was looking around and reading about WinALDL logging several people had TPS readings that were slightly negative at idle. People were commenting on it. It seemed to me it had to do with the requirement for the user to install parameters for the TPS when using WinALDL.
The text document of the data log is hard to read. If you select all and paste to a spreadsheet it aligns the headers to the columns. I used the MALFFLG1:23 IAT / MAT low (Air Temperature) as an example of how that dataset is labeled, it was all zeros for this truck. I noticed there were some flags thrown for TCC locked, but this is a manual transmission truck. Maybe the ECU spews a broad dataset and each truck configuration uses what it needs?
I decided to try something different. I set up an RS232 to usb convertor and used a newer laptop with usb port only. I measured the TPS through WinALDL on the Sensor Data tab with the key on, engine not running, foot off the pedal, and pedal to the floor. I plugged those values into the configuration window. That got rid of the negative TPS readings and it was easier than probing at the connector.
Again, I started WinALDL first and then started the engine. This time I wanted to start cold. I started driving and it went to closed loop after about 3 minutes, the coolant temp was only 135, but I was going 42MPH.
There appear to be times when the Closed loop flag is 1, but the TPS is near zero and the INT is held at 128 charachteristic of Open loop mode. It may be that I wasn’t stopped long enough to change modes.
I’m getting more familiar with understanding the output of WinALDL, I’ll run a few more times to get more examples. This truck runs o.k. There is an exhaust leak and the has an oversized air filter element, something the previous owner did. I’m not seeing anything in the data log that points to that, so I am no expert.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt Run2aldl2.txt (71.0 KB, 34 views)
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500

Last edited by Second Series; 09-14-2022 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add datalog
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote