View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
rou
I can see the finish line!

Post Our first Build - '71 C20 LWB

I purchased this vehicle in June of '09 with the goal of working on it with my teenage son. We like to do projects together, but have not done much with automobiles. The goal was to teach my son (and myself) about automotive mechanics and restoration, plus have a truck that we can use around town. I was looking for a vehicle that was obtainable at a reasonable cost, good looking, not computerized, with accessible parts. My goal was not to restore the truck OEM or have a show truck, but a weekend driver that looks fairly stock with a few upgrades.

Before we get to the good stuff, I do need to give some respect to my buddy Dan Smith. We were having a beer after our monthly Fire Department meeting and I mentioned my desire to do a project like I just mentioned above. Without hesitating, he said 67-71 Chevy Pickup (no surprise to any of you reading this). Dan is a former bodyshop guy and is now a metal fabricator who knows his stuff. Within three weeks I had done my research and agreed with Dan that this was the way to go. I found this truck on EBay in Phoenix where my brother lives, so he drove over to give it a good look. He liked what he saw and before I knew it, I was unloading the truck here in New Jersey. So pretty much everything that happens after this is partly Dan’s fault!

This truck has already had a lot of drive train work done to it, some of which may be detailed elsewhere on this board by PO. We decided to do some minor work and drive it for a while to get to know it. I can tell you we get a lot of comments while on the road, but you know that already We started by lowering the rear suspension 3 inches and the front 1 inch, installing 3 way seat belts along with some minor engine work.

This project has been growing steadily with time. I must admit that this forum is a blessing and a curse. I have been watching and researching here for a while and have used many of your examples to accomplish tasks (blessing). I have also seen many cool ideas that have helped grow the scope of this project substantially (blessing/curse part). Originally we were just going to move the gas tank back under the bed (top seal failed and cab stunk like gas) and do a complete rewire (PO’s were fond of random splicing, using tin foil in the fuse panel and a bunch of other scary methods). As soon as the bed came off, the list started growing.

Hopefully I give credit where due to the folks whose examples I have used, but I do have to give big credit to Bruce88 (It’s Just a Pickup). I have really been inspired by your excellent thread, and you will see many examples of me basically copying your ideas.

Below is our ever growing project list. I like the way Hart_rod listed the project list up front in this thread (68 S/C update.....) so I am utilizing that as well and plan on coming back to this first post and updating our progress.

I have found myself searching build posts for info I know is there. It makes sense that an index would help others find topics of interest, so I have an idea to solve this. I will list the page and post number next to the line for use as an index of sorts. Let’s see if it is adopted by others…

We started this build in earnest on June 1, 2010. I will post a bunch of pics to get us up to date.

Purchases:
Lowering springs and shocks 1” front 3” rear
Three point seat belts
Battery
Starter
Gas tank and fuel line - 20 GAL ALM FUEL TANK 90124 BED FILL FLUSH CAP 6372 CT Classic Performance
Wire kit
Dashboard
Stereo
Factory Mirrors
Rubber for doors, cab, hood, windows, etc.
Electric locks
Electric windows
Old bed floor
Washer fluid pump

Project List

Exterior:

fill in old gas filler hole
Repair rocker panel and cab corner rust – Passenger done --Page 1 Post#5
Repair broken /ripped panels
Repair rust damage on tailgate
Refurbish all body molding
Replace vent window rubber - Done -- Page 2 Post#28
Repaint emblems
Install factory mirrors
New front and rear CST side marker lights with bulbs
Remove fuel cell from cab - Done
Install under bed fuel tank - Done
Replace bed floor with old stock
Install fuel filler in bed floor
New wheels and tires
Install new cab and radiator mounts – Done
Replace washer fluid pump - Done --Page 1 Post#23
Paint interior and exterior

Front suspension:

Install 1" drop springs – Done
lowered shocks – Done
Service brakes – Done

Rear suspension:

new ¾ ton trailing arm bushings
Install 3” drop springs – Done
ECE shock relocators – not necessary right now?
New adjustable track bar – Done
lowered shocks – Done
Service Brakes – Done

Interior:

Install new 3 Point seatbelts – Done
Weld up interior and exterior cab panels on front of door opening – done
Weld patch panels in radio hole - Done
Install Retro Sound radio
New arm rests
Custom cup holder
Install new gas, brake and emergency brake pedals
Install sound insulation on floor
Install speakers in kick panel
Install two way speakers in old dash speaker hole
Close up speaker holes in doors
Mount amp and subwoofer behind seat where gas tank was located
Power Windows
Power locks
Door wire looms - maybe Electric-Life 94202 - Electric-Life Billet Door Wire Looms
Install new headliner trim and old headliner
Find and install factory buddy buckets?
New smaller steering wheel?

Motor/engine compartment:

rewire entire engine compartment
Replace shift linkage at Transmission - Done
Fix power steering leak – Done
Replace fuel pump
Replace starter – Done
Replace Battery - Done

Side Projects:

Compressor - Done
Welding Cart - Done -- Page 1 Post #12
Spray/Dust Booth - Done

Here are pics of the truck when I bought it.
Attached Images

Last edited by rou; 11-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.
rou is offline   Reply With Quote