View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #116
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Thanks for taking a look, I am partial to the '67s myself.

In a related note, I also built a fuel filler. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but I had wanted a non-bed fill tank. I want to be able to load a sheet of plywood and be able to get gas. I also have a '67, which doesn't have marker lights and therefore can't do a marker light filler. I also researched the rear tail light filler. I think they are really cool. But after doing my research, I found that they had some serious limitations. There is very little space behind the tail light and through the bed floor. You really have to cut out a lot of material and/or use a 1" filler. This doesn't include the effort to re-engineer the tail light bucket to pivot or latch, or the LED lights. I decided with a similar approach to TA_C10, with a bed corner filler, and cut the bed side a little to snake the filler down the gap between the inner and outer skin. I was hoping to use 36" of the 2" rubber fuel filler hose to make the connection. That plan was discarded after about 2 seconds of looking at the space available.

I also wanted to engineer the system to accommodate a 2" filler, 3/4" fuel fill vent, 1/2" fuel tank vent, 1/2" axle vent, and my DIY charcoal canister. It was a tight fit, with millimeters to spare.

I was a surprising amount of effort (days!), but I think it turned out really well. I still need to paint it, as I left it in primer for now. The tig welded corners really came out straight, it made me want to use my tig welder more often. I also used some spare 2" 304 stainless bends to make the filler snake around the bed supports. This is probably overkill but I won't have to worry about rust. My welds were not beautiful, but were water tight. I don't have an underside picture due to the cramped space in my garage, but I'll try to get one later this evening. Feel free to ask any questions.

Parts list:
Dorman filler from a 92 Suburban, cut down
2" gates fuel filler hose ~18"
1" fuel hose from the local hydraulic shop 36"
3/8" AC Delco carb fuel line for vapor lines 10'
4x 1/2" SS barb fittings
1/4 - 20 Rivnuts
2 - 2" 90* Vibrant mandrel bends
Misc Hose Clamps
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote