Thread: 1 Ton Revival
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
urmyboyblue

1 Ton Revival

I am starting a build thread on a long term project (ideally 1-2 years but we will see). I bought a 1966 Chevy one ton from a young man out of northern TN that bought it as a project and decided it needed too much work. I am not that smart so I bought it and am looking forward to getting started on it. The truck is missing the bed but otherwise is complete. There is a driveline in it consisting of what looks like a later model SBC, a 4 speed (probably an SM420) and an Eaton HO 72 rear. The engine won't start, the shifter is VERY loose, and the rear brakes are locked up.

The body has rust in all the normal places. My intent is to keep the cab, doors, grille, front bumper and hood but replace the rest of the sheet metal. That which I will keep will require a good bit of replacement metal and work, but that should be fine. I have already started looking for replacement parts and pulled two inner fenders off of a truck at the Birmingham Pull a Part yesterday. I will probably buy two new fenders but try to find everything else used. I may also build a radiator support if I cannot find one.

The intent with this truck is to build a driver- not a show truck. I plan on building a flat bed for it and using it to replace my Dodge one ton as my pull truck for my 1965 C10 when I go racing. I am currently thinking that I will keep most of the drive line, provided the rear gears are in good shape and the engine does not smoke. I want to go to 4 wheel disk brakes as well but otherwise do a basic resto.

Right now I am trying to get EFI set up and running on my 1965. I will start the one ton work when I have the 65 running again- hopefully in a month or two. In the mean time, I am going to look for parts and get ready to start on it.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote