View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Re: 67 GMC Lift thread

Tore down the engine yesterday and replaced the head gaskets, today i'm finishing up the carb work and flushing the coolant then i'll see if my smoke problem is fixed. Might have done all this to find out that i might have to tear down again but at least i'll know that the motor is in pretty good shape. Here are some pics of the tear down before cleaning and NDI inspection.

fusty water as soon as i pulled the upper hose off the thermostat housing

diaphram is still in good working order, you can also see someone's jb weld repair on the intake manifold. guess i'll be replacing this manifold on down the road

right bank intake side of the head

and the left

before pulling the head...push rods look to be straight and in good repair...rolled them all out and no woble, so i'll be reinstalling them

cleaned the intake out

bunch of galleys were plugged with rust, some almost all the way closed off. not a lot, but some coolant passed through into the cylinders, but looks like i caught it before any damage was done to the pistons and cylinders. smooth surfaces and no scratches.

some signs of hardened water on the pistons, but got most of it off. all the valves seat well, so they'll stay like this til i get time to do a total rebuild.

I want to get the block and heads decked eventually. and totally rebuild it and get it machined, but that'll be some time after i move to the new house. but i'll post up after i crank it over
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote