View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
64stpside

Re: My 64 needs your help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Tell us a little more about the engine. Has it ever been rebuilt? Popping through the carb is a classic symptom of a worn cam or misadjusted valves. It could be the firing order or timing too. You might try adjusting the timing by ear in case your balancer has slipped or something. I have never had a distributor partially run. It is either dead or working. I have 5 Skip White distributors with no failures yet. You can get a dud with any brand.
No history on the engine. The popping is not happening one right after another it popped 2 or 3 times and the throttle response was very bad in the block I drove it so I'm not sure it's a worn cam lobe.

I need to back up a bit. I drove the truck about a 1/2 mi down the road when I bought it as it had a VERY VERY worn out mr gasket floor shifter....lol.
When I started going through the truck I was replacing a lot of parts as I didn't know the age of them. The distributor I said had no vacuum advance was one I got not knowing the condition but it was cheap (lesson learned). The truck never popped through the carb before but it still wasn't right. Maybe the old distributor was in better shape than I thought...
The truck was brought home on a trailer and I have been working on it since
last summer and am just now trying to get it out for the 1st time.
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote