Thread: 47-55.1 My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #91
Nima
Blue 67

Re: My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&son56project View Post
I'm confused! You used a stock electric steering setup from a junkyard, but you are mounting an adjustable knob. Did that stock steering setup have an adjustment knob, or is it some aftermarket gizmo you are adding? I ask because I love what you have done and will likely do it on my next build.

Thanks!
Stock electric steering boxes adjust the steering assist based on the load (torque) applied in regard to the speed, tires and etc. This adjustment are done through the car's main ECU. Some Asian cars manufacturer s'(Toyota, Nissan and some Hyundai that I know) electric steering boxes can go to a default mode and apply some steering assist if they don't receive any signal from ECU while American car versions (Saturn or chevy Equinox that I am using) do not have a default mode which means if they don't receive the signal from ECU, they don't provide any steering assist. To overcome this issue, there are few companies on Ebay who sell some standalone modules which can send the signal to activate the steering assist but, since there is no ECU involved the steering assist will be controlled by standalone knob. I chose to go with Saturn/Equinox version since I felt they came out of an SUV which hopefully makes them a little stronger for a truck use rather than the ones come out of a Toyota Prius. Besides, me using big tires and wheels, I wanted to be able to adjust the amount of the steering assist to my liking rather than just relying on a default mode.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote