View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #36
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Re: 72afr's '72 Short Step

I do! I'm not sure how far along you are on the tank install, but we used a piece of C-channel iron instead of the stock bed crossmember. Welded two extensions on it to allow for proper height. The first pic shows the old tank mounted and the lines running out of it. We still had to grind out a few small sections of the new member to account for rubbing on the plastic tank.

In the second pic (looking rear), you can see the filler lines run up to a older Jeep fill spout that is then mounted to an S-10 surround. The spout in tied to a new support bracket via hose clamps and the surround is attached to the fender via a new hole in fender marker mount. The marker "cup" has been removed. Pay no attention to the kinks in the lines as those have been corrected with the new tank having better/reworkable inlets.

At the time, the stock marker socket was too deep to allow for the gas cap to be installed and everything sit flush, so we cut it off and the light was just inoperable. I just recently found a 90deg socket, which I was able to wire in and everything fits.

There was another gentleman on this site years ago who rigged his up a different way and had a flip-open panel that held the marker. Very slick setup and was something we were talking about doing, but alas didn't get around to it. Whenever I fill up, I just take the marker off and set it in the bed. Has worked well enough not to worry about the "door".

Very much a homegrown solution, and I'm sure there are other cleaner ways to do, but this works for me.
Attached Images

2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote