Thread: distributer?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Chevytrux4me
Certified Gearhead

Re: distributer?

I don't think you should have to remove the distributor to get the bolt all the way out. Some of the hold-downs I've seen have a slight curve to them, and should be installed with the two 'fingers' pointing downward.. However, some of the newer ones made out of billet alum and so forth I've seen are pretty much flat. I've wondered if the flat ones work as well as the curved. I was just thinking if the 'fingers' are pointing up and not downward, or if the hold-down is curved or flat. this might let the distributor bolt or nut loosen. I hadn't thought of it earlier, but I've seen hold-down bolts, and I've also seen a stud and nut setup. That's what I meant about the nylon locknut. Obviously, a bolt would need to be replaced with a stud to do that. Not knowing what's on your truck, you might want to look at the type of hold-down you have. Also, is there by chance a washer under it, as opposed to on top? Another thing to consider, this would require pulling the dist up, but I wonder if there's a gasket under the dist base, or is it possibly missing? I can see where this would let the dist base turn also. ...I'm by no means a master mechanic, just considering different possibilities of what might cause this.. Having worked on some trucks, tractors, and more than my share of old sports cars, I've seen lots of interesting 'stuff' over the years. I'm interested to know the outcome of this one.