Thread: 74' by Jabes...
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #54
Jabes1

Re: 74' by Jabes...

I used the old string alignment method to align the toe my truck. The steering wheel was a little off center and it was pulling to the right. While this method gets it close enough, it is not as accurate as a computer alignment. The key to the string method is consistency, you have to consistently measure the same way, from the same point every time. Measure and measure again, make an adjustment and measure, measure, measure.

I move the truck forward and back a few times, check the steering pitman arm and make sure its straight back. The steering wheel should be straight. I do not have a steering wheel tool to keep it straight so I use the steering lock on the column.
You need four jack stands and any type of string. I used some monofilament 10lb test. The distance the jacks are from the vehicle doesn't really matter or affect the toe setting, however you have the ensure the strings are parallel to the rear wheels and tight. There is a method to ensure the rearend is squared, I did not make this measurement. The easiest way I've found to square the jacks is to place them as close to the body as possible without the string coming into contact with it. The front string is placed about a 1/16th away from front bumper and the rear jack is moved in small increments to ensure the strings are parallel to the rear rim. I make my measurement from the lip. Both measurements are the same from the rear rims lips, like I mentioned before, measure and measure some more to ensure as best you can the string runs parallel. You set the other side up the in the same manner.

The string runs parallel to the rear rim and is tight. Do not come into contact with the string while making adjustments or your adjustments will be off and you will have to reset the strings.

The lip is where I measured from. (Rear wheel pictured.)

Same measurement. Rinse, lather and repeat with the other side. Pictures are hard to take ,but both strings are parallel. (Rear wheel pictured.)

Measure in the same manner. (Front wheel pictured.)

The front wheel is parallel here, from here I toe it in 1/16th of an inch. Total toe will be 1/8th of an inch to the front of the vehicle.

I also made an adjustment to the powersteering... super easy. Find the appropriate 3/16ths allen wrench and a 5/8ths wrench. Loosen the locking bolt with the wrench, tighten the adjustment screw all the way down with the allen wrench and back it off a quarter turn. Done. The steering is more crisp to input.

Last edited by Jabes1; 08-24-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: .
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote