View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #79
1972BlueC20

Re: Urgent, need opinions on my new crate engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
The 350/330 HP Deluxe is what I have in my 69 C20. I think you'll like it. I've only put about 250 miles on mine So, to some extent the jury is still out.

Read mechanicalman's post #69 carefully as he's pretty much covered everything I learned. It addition, the engine comes with a long water pump and a 153 tooth flexplate. You'll need to replace the pump with a short pump if you are running original pulleys. You may need to replace the flexplate with a 168 tooth version depending on your starter. If you want to run an original temperature sensor in the original location in the head (most folks have had problems getting one that reads properly), forum member brian mac machines the originals to 3/8" NPT. Here's a link with some discussion on this topic and his contact info http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=627880. If you have factory A/C, in addition to the bypass mechanicalman mentioned, you will need to fabricate some brackets/braces to properly tie the top compressor to the intake/engine. I have pictures showing what I did and a pattern for one of the brackets if you need them. All other accessories should bolt right on.

Incidentally, my engine came with a 670 CFM carb, not the 600 mentioned by Summit. There have been at least 4 different part numbers for this engine package. The earlier ones had the 600 and many sellers never updated the description as it evolved. If you want to run a steel fuel line from the pump to the carb, I can look in my file for info of what I found that worked with very minor tweaking. I THINK it was one designed for the 1968 Camaro Z28.

I also have a phone number for a performance hotline that is staffed by very knowledgeable people if you need it.

Edit: Additional thought. If you don't currently have an HEI distributor you'll need to replace the resistor wire that ran to the coil with a regular 12 gauge wire.

Really great info man!

I really appreciate that.

As for the sensor, I don't have gauges just the idiot lights.....do I still have this same sensor issue?

Also, I was told the engine does not come with any water pump....I already have a brand new short high volume pump....I guess If it does come with one I can try to sell the long one...