View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
Willys_MB

Re: To wet sand or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
If I had the elbow grease handy and the time, I would polish the brightworks, but that's not your questions (by the time you freshen up the paint you'll be inclined to do that too)...lightly wet sand the hideous areas, blend those areas in with the rest with a good buffing, and then wax it. You might loose some pinstriping, but your truck already has a great lived-in look to the finish. Start with the open and free-of-pin-stripe-areas and work into the stripes. By the time you get to the striped areas, you will have learned how to finesse the finish and just might be able to pull it off. If it does not work out for the stripes...you have your answer by default. You might even end up with some ghost stripes...that could be cool too!
I think this is pretty good advice. I've tried taping over areas when wet sanding and it just never works out for me, but maybe I don't have the finesse that sick472 was talking about.

My only additional thought is that you could just tape a large band around the pin stripes and deal with the failing clear coat around the pin stripe if they're that important to you. At least takes photos to document the pinstripe thoroughly before you go anywhere near it. Art's work is legendary, you might as well take a photographic record of it in case you lose it in the future, through your fault or someone else's, God forbid.