View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
cericd

Re: 1970 C/10 Brake Booster Bracket Question

Hey everyone, thanks for the info and pics.

I have scoured the forum for more information on this subject and here's what I've come up with so far.

The circular hole in the "round" bar brace attaches to the back of the booster at the upper, driver's side bolt (see the first image). The oblong hole in the bar attaches to an existing bolt sticking out of the firewall, above and to the right of a rectangular hole used for the e-brake (see the second image).

The "flat" channel iron style brace attaches to a bolt on the front of the booster just in front of the prop valve bracket, (also see the second image).

Okay, so this is where things get sketchy. The other end attaches to the firewall to a point above and to the right of the corner of the driver's side cab rail that attaches the cab to the frame, (also shown in the second image). My 1970 C/10 doesn't have a hole or bolt in that location. It seems that this was a '71 and up thing. I have included a picture from member FirstOwner69's firewall which shows some dimples in that area and I have circled (in yellow) the dimple that I believe coincides with where the hole/bolt would be on a later truck (see the third image).

I have also included an image of the firewall on member GASoline71's 1972 GMC and have circled the two mounting spots in red. From what I've found, his truck would have had the hole from the factory (fourth image).

I also came across a post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...90&postcount=7 where a member added a booster and the braces to a 1968 pickup. If you look carefully, you can see there are even more differences in the firewall.

Hopefully this information will be of some help to others.

I would like to have found a couple of close-up pics of that lower mounting spot from the inside and outside of a '71 or up cab. Just to see how it was originally attached and if there is any bracing inside the cab there.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote