View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
jocko

Re: Tandem Lock indicator no more - now it's a Parking Brake light

Thanks all, it was a rewarding (and cheap) project - and one of necessity since I had driven with the parking brake on a few times too. Every time I get in and start up now, reminds me I actually fixed something on this old truck.

Blackedoutharley - you might be onto something there.... If I charged 5$/hour of my labor, each kit would only cost... oh, about $500. JUST kidding, the first one is the hardest - just "little" bit of experimentation involved, if I had some automated way of building it in my 'rented' garage, I'd go for it! This would be a perfect item for someone with a water-jet or laser cutter! Another thing I thought of (after the fact) would be to just weld a 1/2" inside diameter fender washer to the end of the rectangular part - but there wouldn't be much area for the weld, so not sure if it would be very strong. Could put a simple gusset on it. The vertical part on this one had an extended tab so I could weld about a 1" bead - and it seems to be very strong - was able to put it in a vice and bend it without any problems.

One note - after I got started on this - THEN I found some of the generic micro-switches that have adjustable lever arms on them (doh) - that might be an even easier way to go. I still like this approach since it is a $5 replaceable brake light switch if it ever wears out.

Thanks again guys, appreciate all the comments.
jocko

Last edited by jocko; 09-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote