View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Frame painting/ powder coat sheen questions

I have went with a gloss single step powder coat. Less expensive and I am going to drive mine, but not in the rain. I would only go the multi-step gloss if I was a trailer queen with mirrors under it.
Typical cost is nominally $5-$600 for a single step process in the Portland OR area. That included blasting. Which I consider a fail deal.
I included a picture of the rear of my frame. It would look slightly better if it was wiped down.
Notice, it has some divots from the rust pitting. A full on clear coat will make this look much worse.
4-coat system? Maybe if it's sanded between coats to hide the dimples. Seems over the top and big bucks.
When the guy is on his back critiquing the powder coat they are in a very vulnerable position in my humble opinion.
Simply depends on where you are going with your truck.
A power coated frame is over the top compared to the factory asphalt based paint.
I also used the same color/sheen on all my suspension parts that were black.
The upper A arm cross rods, the spindles and the sway bar were all done in a black speckled powder paint which l loved.
I get a lot of comments on how nice mine looked. (Before the body was on) LOL.

The finish is ultra dependent on the smoothness of the base metal.
I am adding a picture of a grille brace powder coated with the same stuff as a comparison. Single coated.

Cheers

Name:  IMG_2290(1).jpg
Views: 473
Size:  62.7 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-21-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote