View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #51
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Hard Starting Hot

So circling back to this.

A LOT has changed since October. New distributor/wires/RT44TS spark plugs, new fuel pump, and most recently a new PCV valve and electric divorced choke (which I love). Also the stop solenoid opertional. I am still waiting on my replacement carb that is being rebuilt to Performance Level 2 @ Quadrajet Power (I am in week 17 of my wait). Though without it, my the truck is really running fabulous in almost every way. Depending on my driving, I am getting 11~15 MPG.

...except starting after she is good and warmed up / hot and has set for a short bit of time. I would not call it hard starting but harder starting. So starting up, very cold, cold or after a good cool down period, she starts on one turn over of the key, every time.

After driving around, stopping and popping in a store or filling up. More or less the same, she starts on one turn over of the key, maybe two.

After driving around, stopping and waiting 15~30 minutes (let's say under a hour but more than 10 minutes). I'll need to turn her over 3~5 times. She idles a bit rough for about 5~10 seconds but slightly giving her some gas to 1k RPMs helps clear this up faster. After this all is good driving off down the road.

Is there a way to combat this? It isn't horrible but I find it annoying and I feel like a chump turning my engine over until she starts. The carb is not letting any fuel pool/run in after stopping, so it's not like she is flooding out.

Is this simply the fuel in the bowl getting warmed up from the intake manifold?

PS: Just yesterday, I started my 1st round of STA-BIL 360 Protection Ethanol Treatment And Fuel Stabilizer on my fill up. Even if it doesn't help this, I figured using this treatment for Ethanol is a good idea.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote